Last Updated on March, 2023 by Edison
After spending days researching online, I have created this list of the best life hacks that will make your life so much easier.
1. Google Chrome shortcuts
- CTRL + F – Find text on page
- CTRL + K – Start a new search
- CTRL + T – Open a new page
- CTRL + J – Open downloads page
- CTRL + W – Close the page
- CTRL + Shift + Tab – Open the closed tab
- CTRL + Tabs – Switch tabs
- CTRL + Shift + N – Opens the incognito window
- CTRL +/- Maximises and minimizes the page
- Close a tab by pressing the mouse scroll wheel
2. YouTube shortcuts
You probably know the space bar as the pause and replay button while playing videos on YouTube. However, you may not be aware of other keyboard controls that are equally useful.
- M – Mute the sound (does not stop the video)
- L – Leap Forward 10s
- J – Jump backwards 10s
- F – Go Fullscreen
- Home – Go to the beginning
- End – To to the end
- Lift arrow/Right arrow – Go forward and backwards 5s
- Up Arrow & Down Arrow – Raise & low the volume
- Use numbers to skip to a particular section of the video
3. The Google measure app measures every object with extreme accuracy.
4. Add gif before “youtube.” It will send you to another page. Choose the part of the video and edit it.
5. To listen to a song on YouTube on repeat, without having to keep pressing replay at the end, add “repeat” between “www.Youtube” and “.com.”
6. Download any YouTube video by removing “ube.” And hit Enter.
7. Put your phone in Airplane mode. It will charge almost twice as quickly. This way, the phone isn’t wasting power hunting for a signal, receiving push notifications, etc.
8. Use a battery case. It is a phone case and a rechargeable battery that can effectively provide extra battery for your phone.
9. If you are looking for a charger for your phone and other devices like tablets, e-readers, and so on, you need battery packs with >10000mAh capacities.
10. Out of “AA” batteries? You can use a “AAA” battery and fill the gap on the positive side with a small ball of tinfoil.
11. SorryGottaGo.com offers myriad sounds you can play in the background while you are trapped on an endless phone call, and it gives you the perfect excuse to hang up.
12. Many apps can also make fake calls to your phone so that you can escape an awkward date.
13. Nowadays, we are exposed to too much light from our phones, especially blue light, which throws the biological clock out of order. Check out f.lux. It makes the color of your display adapt to the time of day.
14. If you mess up recording a voicemail, press “#” to re-record it.
15. If you accidentally drop the phone on water, follow these steps:
– Remove the battery or power cords
– Try to remove as much water as possible
– Put it in a bag of rice. The rice will absorb the water and can potentially save your phone.
16. You can record your screen using a VLC player
17. Putting your phone on aeroplane mode will stop ads while playing games
18. When signing up for a not-so-useful website, use a temporary e-mail address. It’s a great way to prevent getting spam e-mails. A good site offering this service is 10-minute mail.
19. If you need to study for an exam in high school or college, use Google to find links to sample exams.
Just use this phrase: “site:edu [subject] exam”
20. Ninite.com lets you download multiple programs at once.
21. Howlongtoreadthis.com is a useful website that calculates how much time you need to read a specific book.
22. Text and walk simultaneously using the “Type while walk” app.
23. Find the lost Android Phone
Open your Gmail account.
Go to “Find your Phone”
24. To increase the life of a laptop battery, you need to keep it at a charging level of 44% – 80%.
25. Use Camel to track the history of prices on Amazon, and it notifies you when the price drops.
26. Want to travel the world for free? Join WWOOF.
27. Learn a new language for free at Duolingo.com
28. If you have a “.edu” e-mail address, you can get a free Amazon Prime account.
29. Each five mph you drive over 50 mph is like paying an additional $0.19 for gas.[source]
30. If you know a mechanic, ask him to come with you when buying the car. You can pay him $50 for his time, but you’ll be sure you are getting a car in good condition.
31. Buy a car at the end of the month. You’re more likely to get a better deal because the sales department is trying to close out their month.
32. If you have a car, maintain factory-recommended air pressure in your tires. It’s more fuel economy, and it helps you preserve the tires.
33. You can save 3% in the summer by turning up the thermostat 3-5 degrees.
34. Clear your browser cache before making a flight reservation. The reason is that they give recommendations based on your history and can offer expensive options.
35. You can also use a VPN and make a flight reservation from “another” country. You can find a cheaper option if you book from a low-income country.
36. Use fluorescent or LED lamps – They use 25%-80% less energy than incandescent. Also, they can last 3-25 times longer.
37. Fix a leak and save money – A faucet that leaks one drip per second can waste over 3,000 gallons of water for a year. It’s the equivalent of taking 180 showers.
38. Turn off the computer instead of leaving it in idle mode.
Desktops use almost 75 watts when left idle and 21 watts when put to sleep.
Leaving your computer idle for 5 hours per day would cost you an extra $20.53 at the end of the year.
75 Watts * 5 hrs * 365 days = 136875 Watts/hour. There are 136.875 Kwh * $0.15 (price per kWh) = $20.53
39. You should fill up the tank on Wednesday or Thursday before 10 a.m.
The reason is that gas prices rise on Thursday in anticipation of weekend travel. And 10 a.m is when most station owners make their daily price changes.
40. Buy discounted gas gift cards – Sites like GiftCardGranny can sell discounted gift cards.
For example, you can buy a gas card worth $100 for $95. So, you can save $5 on gas.
41. Play Nintendo games for free at snesfun.com
42. October is the best month to purchase electronic devices. You can get 40% off the price.
43. Do you have the habit of spending too much money? Whenever possible, keep larger currency notes in your wallet.
44. Items that are out of season are significantly less expensive. For example, you can buy a barbeque grill in December.
45. You can extend the free trial length by pushing back the date on your computer.
46. If you bought something on Amazon and the price goes down within a week, you can ask them for a refund, and they will send you the difference.
47. When grocery shopping, the cheapest items will be on the top and bottom shelves, not at eye level.
48. When a price at Costco ends in $.97, it’s the lowest price you can buy that product.
49. Put a sticker with a fake PIN on your debit card. That way, if you lose it and someone tries to use it over three times, the machine will eat the card.
50. If a company asks you to pay money to work for them, it’s a scam.
Food & Drink
Who doesn’t like food and drink? Personally, I can’t live without them.
51. Have leftover coffee from the morning? Use it to make coffee ice cubes to cool down your coffee without diluting it.
52. Leave the meat in cold water before cooking it to reduce shrinkage by up to 50%.
53. If your water starts foaming over the pot when you’re boiling it, pour in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.
54. When boiling eggs, throw a teaspoon of baking soda into the water. And once the egg is cooked, you can remove the shell easily.
55. If you want to increase potatoes’ shelf life, just put an apple in the bag or container where you store them.
56. Trying to cut sugar out of your diet? Freeze bananas. They’re much sweeter when frozen.
57. Use frozen grapes to cool down wine without watering it down.
58. Boiling water before freezing will give you crystal-clear ice.
59. Before frying, sprinkle a little salt in your pan. It will help keep the oil from splattering.
60. If you accidentally over-salt a dish while cooking, drop a peeled potato into the mix. The potato will absorb the excess salt.
61. Want to stop crying when chopping onions? Just chew gum.
62. Can’t get that garlic smell off your hands? Rub them on stainless steel for 30 seconds before washing them.
63. Eat something too spicy? You can neutralize the spice taste by drinking milk.
54. About 90 minutes before dinnertime, soak your pasta in cold water. When it’s time to cook, the pasta should take around a minute and a half to cook fully.
Health & Fitness
65. You can heal paper cuts and immediately stop the pain by rubbing ChapStick in the wounded area.
66. If you’re feeling nervous, chew gum. Your brain will reason you’re not in danger because you wouldn’t be eating if you were.
67. Are you having a panic attack? Splash your face with cold water. It will calm you down instantly.
68. Foods to get rid of an upset stomach – Bananas, Ginger, plain yogurt, Papaya, Applesauce, Oatmeal, white rice, Chamomile tea, Aloe Vera juice.
69. According to this study, smelling rubbing alcohol can instantly relieve nausea.
70. Have a headache? Eating ten to twelve almonds equals taking two aspirins for a migraine headache.
71. Honey, when mixed with vinegar and water, can remove worms and other parasites in your body.
72. Mosquito bite? Apply a hot spoon onto the spot. The heat will destroy the reaction, and the itching will instantly stop.
73. Drinking a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar will relieve allergy and asthma symptoms.
74. Working out before bed makes your muscles burn more calories throughout your sleep cycle.
75. Unable to sleep? Exhale, inhale for four seconds, hold your breath for seven seconds, and exhale for eight seconds. Repeat this cycle four times.
76. Drinking a cold glass of water in the morning will wake you up faster than a cup of coffee.
77. Eat an apple instead of drinking coffee in the morning. It will increase your energy because the natural sugar, glucose, is digested and feeds the body’s cells.
78. When you feel the urge to drink or smoke, do activities that will get you moving. You’ll soon start to associate quitting the habit with being fit.
79. If your toothpaste says it repairs teeth, make sure it contains “NovaMin” as an active ingredient. It’s the only ingredient that improves teeth.
80. Singing releases endorphins in your brain and can instantly make you feel better.
81. Memorizing songs is extremely healthy for your brain and will improve your mental capacity.
82. Smiling for sixty seconds, even when you’re in a bad mood, will immediately improve your mood.
83. Laughing for fifteen minutes has the same health benefits as getting two extra hours of sleep.
84. By simply owning a cat, your risk of heart attack decreases by 30%.
85. Keep a card with all your health information in your wallet. It may save your life someday.
86. Use a clothespin while hammering. You’ll never bang your thumb again!
87. Need a cold beer fast? Wet a paper towel, wrap it around the bottle, and put it in the freezer for 15 min.
88. Are your shoes a bit too small? Then put on three pairs of socks, wear the shoes and break out the hairdryer. Use the hairdryer for 8-10 minutes, and there you have perfect-fitting shoes.
89. Arrange folded clothes within your drawers, so they are upright instead of layered on top of each other so that you can see all items at a glance.
90. Put a pool noodle on the side of your kid’s bed. It will prevent them from falling at night.
91. You can add more space to your closet by adding the pull cans onto the hook of a hanger.
92. Sharpen the scissors by cutting shapes out of folded-over sandpaper.
93. Crayon scribbles on the wall? Take a cloth, spray a little water-displacing lubricant on it and apply it to that area.
94. Use hidden drawers to utilize the extra space under your bed.
95. Use the empty toilet paper rolls to store wires, cords, and cables in them. It will make it easy for you to store them in a box without worrying about them getting tangled or intertwined.
96. You can use ketchup to clean copper pots and pans. The acid in ketchup removes the tarnish and makes copper shine.
97. Candles will burn longer and drip less if you place them in the freezer for a few hours before using them.
98. It may sound crazy, but white wine will remove a red wine stain.
99. Want to remove gum from your clothes? Boil vinegar and pour it over the gum. Use a brush to wipe it off. The gum will come off instantly!
100. Standard blackboard chalk will remove grease stains. Rub the stain with the chalk and toss it in the wash like normal.
101. You can use toothpaste to remove crayon marks from the walls.
102. Instead of scraping ice off your car, try spraying it with a mixture of 2/3 cup vinegar and 1/3 cup water. The ice will melt right off.
103. Nothing kills weeds and keeps them dead longer than white vinegar straight from the bottle.
104. If the taxi driver asks if you’re “from around here,” lie and say yes. Sometimes they drive farther (driving up the price) for tourists.
105. Do you need to stop and ask for directions? Skip the gas station and find a pizza delivery place.
106. If you need a stranger to take a photo of you, make sure it’s someone you know you can outrun.
107. If you ever have to park in a city at night, park in front of a bank. They’re lit up and have cameras everywhere.
108. Need to tell a believable lie? Include an embarrassing detail about yourself. Nobody will doubt a story that makes you look dumb.
109. Get caught doing something embarrassing in public? Just say you lost a bet.
110. You’ll get the best service if you wear a Yelp shirt to a restaurant.
111. You’ll never go wrong at a restaurant ordering the chef’s favorite dish.
112. Want to watch a movie with a girl? Ask her what her favorite movie is and say you haven’t seen it. She’ll usually say, “We should watch it.”
113. Never leave a sports game early. Most historical games were made in the final seconds.
114. Learning from your mistakes is wise, but learning from the mistakes of others is quicker and easier.
115. The phrase “don’t take this the wrong way” or “I don’t mean to offend you but…” has a 0% success rate.
116. Pay attention to how your boy/girlfriend treats their family. Eventually, that’s how they will treat you.
117. Listen to comedians if you’re in for a long drive at night. It will help you stay awake.
Just make sure not to laugh like this…
118. If your car is ever overheating, don’t keep driving it. Two minutes of overheating are enough to ruin your engine.
119. Need to give CPR? Compress their chest to the beat of Bee Gees – Stayin’ Alive. The tempo is the correct timing of compressions.
120. Exhale as much air as possible to suppress laughter at inappropriate times.
121. You can remember the value of pi (3.1415926) by counting each word’s letters in “May I have a large container of coffee.”
122. Learning a new language? Try to find a translation of your favorite book from when you were a kid.
123. Rewire your brain to be happier by recalling three things you’re grateful for.
124. Do you need to buy something from Amazon? Go to smile.Amazon.com because a part of the money goes to a charity of your choice.
125. Eat carbs because they stimulate the production of serotonin. Low-carb diets have been known to cause high anger, tension, and distress.
126. List your top ten things that mean a lot to you. Then make each item as specific as possible. Knowing the things that make you happy can help you make better choices in life.
127. Do you feel angry? Then curse. Relieve that tension.
128. Show appreciation. Tell someone you’re proud of them. Make a genuine compliment to someone.
129. Practice random kindness. Help an elderly person up the steps of a building or across the street.
Help your neighbor or share your umbrella with someone.