Copywriters are high in demand because the competition between businesses has increased.
They are willing to pay good money for your copywriting services as long as you bring results.
The question is, how can you improve your copywriting skills?
Dan Lok offers an online course called “High-income Copywriter” and here is a review of this course and some keynotes…
Week 1: The Mindset Secrets to Attract Massive Success as A High-Income Copywriter
Duration: 9h and 45min
Dan explains how you can break limiting beliefs that prevent you from learning a skill and achieving success.
Every individual that is successful in his/her profession has learned to break the limiting beliefs.
He will give you some strategies to build the right mindset but most importantly, to get the most out of HIC.
Because here’s what happens…
Many people buy an expensive course when they’re in a high emotional state or have misconceptions about the work they need to put in… and then they procrastinate.
When I review a product I like (book or course), I avoid hype for two reasons:
First, just because I liked and found helpful a product doesn’t necessarily mean my readers will. We might have different skill levels and goals.
Second, I don’t want the readers to decide while they are overwhelmed with emotions.
Sure, there’s nothing wrong with being excited about a product, but there is a difference between being excited and building unreasonable expectations.
What I liked about Dan is his ability to motivate his students to do the exercises and to keep learning.
– Value your time – If you don’t value your time, no one else will.
– Learn to become the better version of yourself.
– Don’t worry if you feel overwhelmed because it means you are learning something new, you are improving.
– Words, not numbers, are the true currency in business.
– Copywriting is the language of revenue.
– Skills make you rich
– Your words shape your world.
– Why reinvent mediocrity when you can copy genius – Study the ads that brought results and use those concepts in your copy.
You need to be a:
1. Psychologist (Market)- You have to understand human nature. Why do people buy?
2. You need to be a strategist – How your copy fits with everything else?
3. Researcher (Offer)
4. Wordsmith (Copy)
Week 2: Copywriting and Sales Psychology Secrets – How & Why People Buy
Duration: 2h 15min
In this module, Dan focused on writing great sales letters by hand.
He said that the fastest way to become a good writer is by writing good writing.
This simple yet powerful exercise helps you learn copywriting on a subconscious level.
Week 3: How to Read Your Prospect’s Mind and Design Genius Marketing Strategies
Duration: 4h 57min
In this module, Dan focused on the two fundamentals – Psychologist and Strategist.
He explained how to:
- read prospect’s mind and enter the conversation inside their head.
- find the prospect’s deepest desires and fears
- craft the big idea
- design a winning campaign before writing a single word
– Once you pick the right market, you need to understand the market.
The amount of money you make is directly proportional to how well you understand the market.
– Put yourself in their shoes: What do they see, think, feel… What specific words do they use?
We are going to use those words in our copy.
In other words, build a psychological profile of your customer based on the basic details (demographics, age, marital status, income level, education…), interests, secret desires.
– Make it personal. Talk to one person.
Week 4: How to Create Irresistible Offers That Sell Like Crazy
Duration: 5h and 30min
Here you will use all the skills you learned in the previous modules and put them into action.
– Value is anything that makes the purchase or the justification of the purchase easier.
– The more valuable and risk-free is an offer the easier is for the customer to explain why did they buy it.
When you have an irresistible offer, you can charge more.
– Product + Value = Offer
Customers perceive value in different ways.
So, consider those perceptions when making the offer.
– Three key components of an offer:
1. Bonuses – People like bonuses because it tells us we are getting a good deal.
2. Price and Terms – Make it simple. Don’t make people calculate. You’ll save X amount of money or buy one get one.
3. Guarantee – The customer might have these doubts in their mind: “Does this product works?” Or, “Can I make it work?”
– Think about how much does it cost them to not act today.
Week 5: How to Assemble Kickass Landing Pages and Write Highly Profitable Emails
Duration: 5h and 37min
Here you will learn how to make the landing pages more captivating and increase the conversion rate.
Dan also explains how you can add different bullet types in your copy to make it more interesting.
- “How to”
- “Secret to”
- “right… WRONG”
Week 6: How to Write Million-Dollar ‘Scalable Copy’ Without Hyped Up or Exaggerated Claims
Duration: 5h and 11min
Dan’s assistants explain how you can write a Facebook Ad in 15 minutes or fewer and how to write scalable copy so your clients can make more money.
First, we learned a simple template to write a powerful Ad:
Problem – Agitation – Solution
Describe in detail the problem your prospect is facing right now and how is making him feel.
Then present a solution to their problem.
When you describe their reality better than they can, they will assume that you have the solution. Where they are right now and where they want to be.
In this module, you will also see many breakdowns of successful Facebook ads.
Second, scalable is writing copy that follows the rules of Facebook and other platforms, and this allows your client to scale faster.
Week 7: How to Turn Your High-Income Copywriting Skill into A Predictable and Sustainable 6-Figure Income
Duration: 5h 56min
You will learn how to use your skills to make money.
The key lesson we got from Dan was to focus on a niche we are passionate about.
Week 8: 7 Deadly Mistakes Most Copywriters Make That Crumble Their Chances of Success Before They Even Start
Duration: 4h and 45min
This is a bonus lecture where Dan tells us the biggest mistakes the copywriters make:
- Not doing what got you good in the first place
- Forget about consistency
- Listen to the thoughts of the lower self
- Learn without any structure
- Believe in what you say, instead of what you do
- No reliable feedback loops
- Only dig the well when you’re thirsty
- (Extra) Only focus on copywriting
The most common complaint I see with online courses is upselling.
Well, here’s the deal…
People like Dan Lok, Jordan Belfort, Grant Cardone, AWAI experts are very persuasive.
It’s why we buy their courses… We also want to become persuasive.
On the other hand, many people buy one course and find themselves buying more courses.
As a copywriting student, you need to pay close attention to their language and how they encourage students to buy more.
The reason is that you can use those strategies to help your clients make more money.
Throughout this course, Dan encourages people to buy the High-Ticket Closer program. His argument is that you will learn more advanced selling strategies.
I think that this course is more than enough for you to learn copywriting, and you need nothing else.
If you want to learn how to become a salesperson, start with a selling course.
It’s important to focus on one field and get great at it.
Again, take your time to study, don’t procrastinate, practice what you learn, and don’t put yourself into a loop where you are constantly buying courses.
If, in the future, you decide to master another skill (like selling), buy an affordable course from a sales trainer you like, and go through the learning process.
These courses will still be there. Don’t fall into the urgency trap.
One thing I didn’t like about this course is the video quality. Most videos are simple PowerPoint presentations. Since I’m a visual learner, I had to spend more energy understanding the material.
– He used his copywriting skills to build a large following on social media.
– He goes into detail on how you can build confidence in your abilities as a copywriter.
It’s a good course on copywriting. But the price is $2,495 and in my opinion, is way too much for this course.
That’s why I would recommend The Accelerated Program for Six-Figure Copywriting by AWAI
PS: The same goes for High Ticket Closer. Straight Line Persuasion is a much better choice.